Status
Not open for further replies.

TammyWammy69

New Fish
Whitey
Jan 7, 2022
Minecraft Username
TammyWammy69​

How many times have you been banned on minr?
First Ban​
When were you banned
Jan 6, 2022​

Why were you banned?
Answer sharing​
Why do you think you should be unbanned?
Hi, I'm really sorry, I don't actually mean to appeal, because it says to appeal in 4.5 months and I plan on respecting that. I'd just like some clarity on why I've been banned? I'm really not sure. I went to the bathroom, to take a quick break from HC, and came back to being banned.

I can think of three possible incidents that would've gotten me banned.

1. (the most likely) The other day I accidentally repeatedly inputted answers for Scorned Lands into chat. I believe it happened four times. Two of them were due to me not typing fast enough, one was due to accidentally hitting enter instead of CTRL+C, and one was due to not realizing I hadn't actually clicked the stair. If this is the case, I am truly sorry, it was an extremely unfortunate accident, and I understand the necessity to ban me, even if chat was wiped.

2. Today, I was expressing my frustration at being stuck on a search in Fissure (I was not soliciting answers, just saying that I was annoyed). Then a green (I can't remember who) told me to look at it from a different perspective. This made it immediately clear to me that I need F5 to solve the search. I even joked in chat that they should have been banned for giving me that info.

3. A few minutes later, I got stuck in a toilet trap, I believe near the end of fissure. I was extremely frustrated at this, as I felt like I had been cheated out of beating HC. I asked people if they could let me out, and I was told I could be only let out by a Blue in Fissure, or a Mod or Admin. A green (again, I can't recall who) tried to teleport to me to let me out but it did not work. I think what likely got me banned is the fact that I shared the coordinates of the toilet trap in public chat, as I was thinking about leaving the game, and thought maybe someone could ask a Mod or Admin to let me out later (there were none on the tab list, as _dx_ had just left). If this is the case, I am again truly sorry. I didn't think much of sharing the coordinates to the toilet trap, as it's pretty useless knowledge on its own. But that combined with the fact that I said I thought I was near the end could have given someone an unfair advantage.

I would just like to have clarification on if I am correct in saying that it was one of these three events (maybe all of them) that led to my ban? Or was it something else? I'd like to know for my own sake, and so that I could reflect on what led up to making the careless decisions that led to this. Thanks so much for your time.​
Has agreed that the above is both honest and truthful:
Yes​

Alert - all users
If you have nothing important to add please do not post here

_dx_

Active Player
Mod
Jun 29, 2020
Hey Tammy,

Thanks for the honesty in your appeal. The ban was put in place because you had put answers for Scorned Lands in chat - not just once but multiple times. Whilst we did understand it could've very well been a mistake, it is highly unlikely that would've happened 3-4 times in a row, especially as you previously had no issues inputting these very answers. However, after discussions among staff and the degree of honesty in your appeal, your ban length will be reduced to 2 months. Moreover, upon completion of your HC run, you will have to undertake an additional Adventure map that will be chosen at the time of your reappeal.

With the ban length being reduced to 2 months, please do not appeal again until the 8th of March, 2022.

TammyWammy69

New Fish
Whitey
Jan 7, 2022
Hey Tammy,

Thanks for the honesty in your appeal. The ban was put in place because you had put answers for Scorned Lands in chat - not just once but multiple times. Whilst we did understand it could've very well been a mistake, it is highly unlikely that would've happened 3-4 times in a row, especially as you previously had no issues inputting these very answers. However, after discussions among staff and the degree of honesty in your appeal, your ban length will be reduced to 2 months. Moreover, upon completion of your HC run, you will have to undertake an additional Adventure map that will be chosen at the time of your reappeal.

With the ban length being reduced to 2 months, please do not appeal again until the 8th of March, 2022.
Hi _dx_, thank you so much for lowering my ban time. It's truly appreciated.

To preface the next part of my message (which will be my attempt to prove that it was indeed a mistake): I'm not saying this to get out of ban time. I fully understand that even though I did it completely accidentally, I should be banned, as it would set a bad precedent not to ban me, and I could have likely avoided it somewhat had I been more attentive. I'm only attempting to prove that this was a mistake because I really don't want the community to look down upon me. I was really looking forward to becoming a community member once I became a Green, as I'd read up lots on the history of Minr and I really wanted to be a part of it.

The way I see it, there's three possibilities for why I'd hypothetically answer share in public chat:
1. To "help" (I don't really think answer sharing is helping, as it takes the fun and satisfaction out of the experience, but I don't really have a better word) someone specific.
2. To "help" people in general.
3. To ruin other people's experience with the map, by giving them the answer.
And here is, one by one, why I don't think any of those make sense in my case

1. If I were trying to answer share to someone specific, I would do it in a separate messenger, where there's no definitive proof that it was me. Plain and simple. One could argue that maybe I did it in public chat and played it off as a mistake to avoid the off chance that there was a way to prove it was me. This doesn't make sense, as the other party would have been the one soliciting the answer sharing and would also be banned (I believe) thus it would be against their interest to report it.

2. My defence against this is two-fold. Firstly, I think it would be highly ineffective, in terms of actually giving away answers. The only people who I would've been giving the answers to, were any Blues who happened to be on, and in Scorned (of which I don't believe there were any). The only other people this could've given the answers to were Blues or Whites who realized that I had given the answers to *something* and written them down to use later. Anyone who potentially wrote the answers down for later use has frankly unbelievable foresight. The second part of my defence for this argument is that if I were to answer share for a map in HC, it probably would not be Scorned. I found Scorned to be the easiest map thus far in HC, and I'd heard many others express the same sentiment. So it wouldn't make sense for me to have given answers in public chat for Scorned, as it would've just risked me being banned, and hardly helped others.

3. I believe that there's no reason to believe that I acted maliciously and was trying to ruin Scorned for others. This one is difficult for me to prove, but I think that I've shown in chat that I want to be a productive community member, as I'm always friendly, helping people when possible and always give people gg's.

One more piece of evidence that I think could help convince someone that my answer sharing was not on purpose. I'm a fairly poor typist, I can sometimes be pretty fast but I'm extremely prone to mistakes, so I'm slow when trying to be accurate. This is what lead to the first two instances of me putting an answer to Scorned in public chat (which btw were the same answer, I believe on separate days. Which would make no sense if this wasn't a mistake, as it would just increase my chances of getting banned, for no additional advantage). I simply didn't put the answer in quick enough, so my message went to public chat, instead of being input. This cascaded, as I was extremely flustered and scared, leading to the next two instances of answer sharing (detailed in first post). I think I can provide some proof in the fact that I'm a poor typist in the fact that I'm always one of the last to say gg in the chat. Additionally, some of my inattentiveness can be demonstrated in the frequency with which I accidentally repeat my previous chat message instead of /kill'ing. In July or August, I believe, I did this probably a half dozen times directly in a row (sort of an ironic parallel to this incident).

I'd also like to point out that your assertion, _dx_, that I'd "had no issues inputting these very answers" feels disingenuous, and isn't really true in my opinion. To my recollection, I'd never before done a map that requires you put answers in the chat, and puts your answers in public chat if you don't do so quickly enough. Before my first slip up, I'd only inputted answers for Scorned once or twice before, to my recollection (though you'd be able to verify this with more accuracy than me).

Ok that's all I have for my defence. While writing about this and thinking about this, I thought about some suggestions to the server that could prevent things such as this from happening again. I understand that this is extremely presumptuous of me, and I'm certainly not in a position to be making suggestions for the server. But please do hear me out.

Firstly, I think having maps put you back in public chat if you don't input your answer quick enough is just a bad idea. I understand why this mechanic exists, so that you can click on the staircase to get the hint, but not input answer, and then chat again without having to go through the hassle of having your chat message go to the puzzle chat instead of public chat. However, I think this bit of ease of use is great outweighed by the potential harm it can cause, such as in my case. I think this would be a pretty easy fix to institute, as all it would require, is that it's a new criteria for maps going forward.

My second suggestion is perhaps a bit more ambitious. Minr could potentially implement a mechanic wherein players could input a command, say "/togglepuzzlechat," for instance. And this would make it so that all of their messages, as long as it was set to on, none of the players messages would go to public chat. Perhaps as an extra bit of functionality, while a player had puzzle chat on, they could preface a message with something like "/shout (message)" in order to override puzzle chat, in case they wanted to tell someone gg or something for the sort I would certainly use this in the future, as it would have prevented this whole debacle.

As I see it, there's really no motive for me to have purposefully shared answers in public chat. Again, I'm not trying to alleviate my punishment, I completely understand the necessity. I just hope that this will not leave a mark on my reputation on this server, as I truly care about it. Sorry for the wall of text...

_dx_

Active Player
Mod
Jun 29, 2020
Hey Tammy, thanks for the message.

As I mentioned in the previous message, the staff team collectively had discussions regarding the nature of your ban, and there will be no changes made to the ban length and terms of your reappeal. Making the same mistake multiple times in a row, and considering these mistakes were related to answers for HC - we do not and will not take these actions lightly. In terms of what happens for Scorned in the future, we appreciate the feedback, and an admin has already implemented a region to prevent players from leaking answers in the future if they are in the code cave.

As such, the ban length remains at 2 months, and I ask you to not reappeal until 8th of March, 2022.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.