• Welcome to Minr.org

Server IP: zero.minr.org 

Java Version: 1.20.2

Who are we?

Welcome to one of the oldest Minecraft servers and communities in the world! Zero.minr.org dates back over 13 years and has been consistently providing endless hours of fun and excitement for players from all over the globe. With an uptime of 99%, you can count on us to be here for you whenever you're in the mood for some challenging minecraft parkour, puzzles and mazes.

Our server is home to over 600+ challenges, each designed to keep you engaged and entertained for months on end. These challenges have been created, tested and curated by our green membership community, who are true experts in all things challenges! Our community is made up of some of the most dedicated and skilled players, who have completed our Hardcore set of challenges and continue to create new and innovative experiences for our server.

At our core, we are strongly committed to fair play and against any form of pay-to-win features. We have been privately funded since our inception, which has allowed us to provide a level playing field for all our players, free of any hidden advantages. This dedication to fair play has resulted in a thriving community where everyone has a chance to excel and showcase their skills.

So why not join us and become a part of something truly special? Who knows, you may even have what it takes to create a challenge that will remain on our server for years to come. Whether you're a seasoned Minecraft veteran or a newcomer to the game, we look forward to welcoming you to our server.

For more information about zero.minr.org click here.

!

BTJRedwing

Berdst Friend
Op
Mar 7, 2020
Throughout my time on Minr, I haven't seen an issue so widely agreed upon by both greens and staff than this. The "(player) joined the game!" message was recently changed to have a period instead of an exclamation point. I believe the exclamation point really exemplifies the welcoming nature of the community, and this change was unnecessary at best. Additionally, the exclamation points made it easier to distinguish the join messages in #zero from actual chat messages at a glance. The current join message is more generic and in line with other Minecraft servers, which i think Minr is anything but.

Recently, Zath polled the discord server to gauge the community, and changing the period back received unanimous support with 22 votes before receiving it's first disagree. I truly believe there is not a more important and widely supported change than this at the moment.

rickyboy320

Administrator
Op
Nov 18, 2013
Clearly there's much discussion on the oh so mighty exclamation mark. While we could, in principle, revert it to an exclamation mark, let's discuss some of the good arguments that people have made, and see if we can make an even better join message.

The history of the join messages is as follows:
- 2015: <player> joined the game.
On a random day in 2016, the change from joining the game with a dot was changed to an exclamation mark:
- 2016-02-26-5 [15:48:14] skyerzz joined the game.
- 2016-02-26-5 [16:23:33] henniboy321 joined the game!

Henniboy321 was the first player to have ever logged in with an exclamation mark and fanfare. Congratulations!
... except that it was a logout. The exclamation mark was introduced with a bug, and stayed around since.

The login remained a dot:
2016-02-26-7 [17:19:31] jkjkelly1 joined the game.
until this bug was "fixed", a few hours later, (Curiously enough , logins never showed up in logs again, until yesterday.)

Anyways, logging in was obviously inconsistent with new players logging in:
"player joined for the first time. Welcome!"
Where we can clearly see the dot in action. Only the 'welcome' is exclamated. While for players returning, it looked like:
"player joined the game!"

Clearly there was an inconsistency there (and also, if we revert to bukkit's default behaviour by setting players' *display name* rather than taking over control, the dot would return as well).

Anyways, it has been brought to my attention that ! is more favourable, mainly because it is easier to distinguish from discord. While I find this a sensible argument, I feel that the join messages then are still too non-distinguishable. The ! only helps little, and only is at the end of the message. Aesthetical arguments I find.. weak at most -- there are many more textual aesthetical changes introduced (and will be), and while it is jarring at first, it'll soon be normal after which you won't see the difference anymore ~ and none is necessarily 'better' than the other.

I'd like to extend the discussion to any message that players get on the server, while typing code, it's often hard to imagine how something would look in-game, or design the best and descriptive possible message. There's a lot of messages out there, so if you have any input or remarks on any of them, go right ahead.

Tldr; yes, we can revert to !, but before we do so, I'd like to explore potential better login messages that might be out there. And while we're at the topic, maybe you have suggestions for other messages / message layouts (like the dreaded 900 messages you get on map completion -- we're working on that one, but we'd like some input on how you would design them).

Let this be an open thread for all things... messages!

Big

Bird Enthusiast
Greenie
Mar 2, 2019
Let Greens customize their join message. that could be an actually pretty fun little thing. don’t know if that’s possible though.

all others players get the class “joined the game!”
Im all for this idea lmao

But this feature would probably have to be green+, because I can see whities putting something immature in their message.

UltraOmiga

Lemony Girl
Greenie
Apr 30, 2020
T
Im all for this idea lmao

But this feature would probably have to be green+, because I can see whities putting something immature in their message.
This is amazing and should be a thing!

Reactions: Big

rickyboy320

Administrator
Op
Nov 18, 2013
Let Green+ customize their join message. that could be an actually pretty fun little thing. don’t know if that’s possible though.

all others players get the classic “joined the game!”
Hard disagree, if a concern with . was that it was hard to filter out from discord, this will be worse.

(Unless you mean customizable in how it looks to you...)

JonBimblesticks

going outside is for casuals
Greenie
Jul 27, 2019
I kinda like what discord does where they have a list of join messages for each server and randomly pick one every time a player joins. Maybe on the discord end a plugin or bot could make join messages appear as bold in #zero?

BTJRedwing

Berdst Friend
Op
Mar 7, 2020
I really think custom messages would clog up the chat. The clean looking chat is one of the good aspects we have here.