• Welcome to Minr.org

Server IP: zero.minr.org 

Java Version: 1.20.2

Who are we?

Welcome to one of the oldest Minecraft servers and communities in the world! Zero.minr.org dates back over 13 years and has been consistently providing endless hours of fun and excitement for players from all over the globe. With an uptime of 99%, you can count on us to be here for you whenever you're in the mood for some challenging minecraft parkour, puzzles and mazes.

Our server is home to over 600+ challenges, each designed to keep you engaged and entertained for months on end. These challenges have been created, tested and curated by our green membership community, who are true experts in all things challenges! Our community is made up of some of the most dedicated and skilled players, who have completed our Hardcore set of challenges and continue to create new and innovative experiences for our server.

At our core, we are strongly committed to fair play and against any form of pay-to-win features. We have been privately funded since our inception, which has allowed us to provide a level playing field for all our players, free of any hidden advantages. This dedication to fair play has resulted in a thriving community where everyone has a chance to excel and showcase their skills.

So why not join us and become a part of something truly special? Who knows, you may even have what it takes to create a challenge that will remain on our server for years to come. Whether you're a seasoned Minecraft veteran or a newcomer to the game, we look forward to welcoming you to our server.

For more information about zero.minr.org click here.

Map length in /c info

Kasebett

Peon
Greenie
Jan 16, 2023
Showing map length in /c info would be incredibly helpful. For many players, the key factor when choosing what map to play isn't as much as its map type but its length, which can differ immensely within a difficulty. Here are some maps whose length isn't nearly the same yet they're in the same difficulty and map type as extreme examples: Gearburn: Alone at Night - Gearburn: The Savior , MC:BM - Shattered Archive , Breaking Free 2 - Breaking Free , Theory of Everything - Aztec. Being able to view their estimate of length would give way more information about the map that a player is looking for when selecting a map to play.

D

Deleted member 4181

For the majority of maps you can just look at speedrun times and they should give a pretty good idea. The only major exception I can think of is elitist mazes.

(If we did want to actually pursue this idea, it could probably be done by averaging only first finish times.)

AverageIPA

Well-Known Player
Op
Board
Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion this wouldn’t work for multiple reasons.
It does seem like a nice thing that we could kind of make some length rating system but the issues is with the averages. There are many maps on this server where someone has left the server for literal YEARS and come back and had a 1000HR+ time so it would be skewed by times like that.
I feel like creating a CONSISTENT rating system would be especially difficult and would be skewed by rare instances and wierd map quirks.

Example: Recursion is a really long puzzle to solve, however the majority of times are less than 5 seconds because once you have the answer you can just beat the map. You might beat it in 1h 30 mins but the average map time will list as 5-15 seconds which isn’t an accurate representation of time spent. On the flip side a map like factory would have a much higher average time than it should be due to skewed completions, with completions in the hundreds of thousands there are several hundred or thousand crazy times that wouldn’t normally be representative of the map.

TL : DR It’s impossible to create a consistent rating system for length, due to crazy outlier times and wierd map quirks.

Bahnarli

Active Player
Greenie
May 18, 2020
I'll take a crack at this, I'll follow up if I find a way to avoid major outliers in a consistent and useful way

D

Deleted member 4181

I'll take a crack at this, I'll follow up if I find a way to avoid major outliers in a consistent and useful way
The first finish thing I mentioned could at least ensure that it's not skewed by speedruns, but I'm not sure about the infrastructure for that. As for avoiding outliers, I thought a bit about using a statistics algorithm like eliminating times a certain standard deviation away from the mean or median.

ShutUpAndDrive

shut up and drive drive drive drive drive drive
Whitey
Jul 15, 2022
The first finish thing I mentioned could at least ensure that it's not skewed by speedruns, but I'm not sure about the infrastructure for that. As for avoiding outliers, I thought a bit about using a statistics algorithm like eliminating times a certain standard deviation away from the mean or median.
i'd say remove the top and bottom 10%-25% of times (obviously also remove the invalid times), then calculate the mean and the median, add them together, divide by 2 (you could also weigh the mean or the median more than the other), then you have a number

that is obviously far from perfect, and i also don't know how much that would lag the server

and then add in the fact that some maps will have a much more greenies+ centric completion rate; almost any new map will (see the floor is lava), or most super hard maps (the chainweaver, thrice), or the fact that there's quite a few shorter, harder maps with little or no checkpoints (sheol, dodecad, warped, warped 2), or much longer, easier maps (breaking free 2, yokai), or hub maps with quick completions (another castle, gravity, broadway, project: survival), or maps that far more than 10%-25% of people recomplete (recursion, i can't think of other examples), or... the list goes on

that's my best guess though on a blueprint of a formula that could maybe work

Dumbmutt

Stargazer
Greenie
Jul 30, 2018
I don't think it's that hard to just eyeball the length of a map by just playing or existing in it. The measurements wouldn't have to be extremely exact or even registered numerically via a formula.

However, "guesstimations" or opinions on what is long or not would always be up to debate and I doubt most people would be satisfied with a very loose definition/calculation of length.

Mr Muffin

New Fish
Whitey
Apr 2, 2023
Hi there, I am not sure if I am allowed to participate in these sorts of forum discussions but this sounds like a great idea!

I for one would love to see this in practice and am definitely one to factor in (to a great extent) the length of maps when deciding on which ones to play.

From reading the other responses it does sound like a tough challenge to implement using an average speed running time + coding orientated approach.

Perhaps a map length rating system based on the subjective opinions of The Board may be a potential solution.

Maps could be categorised into 5 groups such as: Very short, Short, Medium, Long and Very Long. The Board could assign this piece of information to each map prior to its release.

The only downside is that the server has 100s of maps that would have to be reviewed, making it an extremely time consuming process. However, this could be done over the course of a few years.

Either way this is just a suggestion and I hope you’re all doing well!

TLDR: Recommending a categorised map length rating system based on the discretion of The Board.