• Welcome to Minr.org

Server IP: zero.minr.org 

Java Version: 1.20.4

Who are we?

Welcome to one of the oldest Minecraft servers and communities in the world! Zero.minr.org dates back over 13 years and has been consistently providing endless hours of fun and excitement for players from all over the globe. With an uptime of 99%, you can count on us to be here for you whenever you're in the mood for some challenging minecraft parkour, puzzles and mazes.

Our server is home to over 600+ challenges, each designed to keep you engaged and entertained for months on end. These challenges have been created, tested and curated by our green membership community, who are true experts in all things challenges! Our community is made up of some of the most dedicated and skilled players, who have completed our Hardcore set of challenges and continue to create new and innovative experiences for our server.

At our core, we are strongly committed to fair play and against any form of pay-to-win features. We have been privately funded since our inception, which has allowed us to provide a level playing field for all our players, free of any hidden advantages. This dedication to fair play has resulted in a thriving community where everyone has a chance to excel and showcase their skills.

So why not join us and become a part of something truly special? Who knows, you may even have what it takes to create a challenge that will remain on our server for years to come. Whether you're a seasoned Minecraft veteran or a newcomer to the game, we look forward to welcoming you to our server.

For more information about zero.minr.org click here.

Allow maps the option to have /kill not kill you

Vermilion_Stone

Redstone Resolve.
Greenie
Nov 22, 2021
The current system works fine most of the time - you use the command, the player dies, and is returned to the checkpoint immediately. This is a great solution for many maps, but it does have some possible downsides:

1: Items and effects are not kept on death. This is sometimes good (depending on the situation), but it can also be annoying - in maps that want you to keep an item through deaths, this item has to be returned to the player every time they die.

2: Sprint is not kept on death. Especially for people who use togglesprint, this is often very annoying as you hves to press the sprint key every time you die.

3: This is the big reason to me - dying makes the player reload the world. This is not always a huge issue, especially if the checkpoint is far from where the player died (and the player would have to load the chunks anyways). However, especially in hard parkour maps using checkpoints (and some others, like droppers), the player often must use "/kill" very frequently, which adds a seemingly large amount of time to respawn. Also for high ping players - actually dying means that a lot more information has to be sent to the client before the player can continue, compared to a simple teleport.

I do think the current implemenation of "/kill" is useful for many maps, and I don't think it should be removed - I just think that there should be an option to have checkpoints only teleport rather than kill the player. I imagine this could be hard to do - I see many problems such as making sure this still counts as a death for challenges, and questions like "should this type of death count towards the deaths statistic?" - but this would greatly improve the Minr experience for everyone.

Srentiln

minr op since Nov 2011
Op
Oct 28, 2013
There are ways to accomplish what you are saying without adding/modifying commands (such as setting a region the player falls into on jump failure to tp back to the checkpoint coordinates, or setting the region flags to keep items on death). However, it is up to the mapmakers to decide if that is an option they want to pursue for their course.

Vermilion_Stone

Redstone Resolve.
Greenie
Nov 22, 2021
That is true, however, as pointed out in The Map Model, there are many disadvantages to using checkpoints that are not actual checkpoints: for example, these types of checkpoints don't count towards the limited life or limited checkpoint challenge modifiers, which is often especially crucial for the parkour maps where they are useful. Additionally, I think that there are many existing maps on Minr that could benefit from an option like as I explained above.

Srentiln

minr op since Nov 2011
Op
Oct 28, 2013
Both could be accomplished if the scripting could access checkpoint data (not sure if it can or cannot), but the onus would again be on the map makers.

Also, wouldn't a non-killing kill command have the same concern for limited life challenges?

Vermilion_Stone

Redstone Resolve.
Greenie
Nov 22, 2021
My idea is that it's the same /kill command, it just conditionally either kills you or only teleports you. This could still work for challenges if it was coded that way in the plugin. This to me seems like a good solution for accessibility for map makers - it could simply be an option as part of the map (/c setkill mapcode true/false or something), and it also would follow the map model.