(Concluded) Hardware Maintenance 4/23/2022

Ajdj

Minr Admin
Op
Oct 28, 2013
Next Saturday, on 4/23/2022, the server will be taken down for maintenance at 8AM US Eastern time (UTC -5). The downtime is expected to last for 2-3 hours. During this time, the server will be migrated to new hardware. A final backup will be taken after the server closes, so no progress should be lost during this transfer.

Additional details will be posted after maintenance has concluded. Thanks!

Ajdj

Minr Admin
Op
Oct 28, 2013
The maintenance window has concluded - Users may need to use the "direct connect" feature rather than the server list for the first 24 hours.

This new piece of hardware gives us a few new perks.

Pros:
-Stronger CPU - For those that know parts, Minr now runs on a AMD Ryzen 9 5950x. This is a stronger CPU for single threaded operations, which is the benchmark we need for running a server. I'd estimate that it's ~15% better than what we were on previously. Long term this might give us a little wiggle room to increase the server's render distance a smidge.
-Increased RAM- This wasn't known bottleneck or issue, but we did jump from 64 to 128 GB.
-Increased disk space - We've doubled the amount of disk space available. This will allow us to keep more local backups, as well as take them more often.

Cons:
-We're still being hosted out of Germany. When reviewing the NA server hosting market (for dedicated hardware), there was nothing that could match the specs of our previous machine without paying at least 50%-100% more in cost.
-Increased cost. I've been lucky that my professional career has advanced to the point where I am able to support paying for a stronger server, but I'm now at my upper limit for how much I'm able to pay a month to keep Minr running.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited: