When writing out dates, do you guys put the month before the day, or the day before the month?

CreepaShadowz

Maze Connoisseur
Op
Apr 21, 2014
But what I truly find interesting is how other English speaking countries outside of US also use DD/MM/YYYY, while still describing full-written days as Month DDth, YYYY.
The X of Y (10th of May) is more common than Y X (May 10th) here (which incidentally sounds a little less natural to me than the former) so there is likely some tendency to write as you say / speak as you write.

djnysted

DJ of Cheese
Greenie
Mar 11, 2018
That's my guess too, Creepa. X of Y is something I hear maybe 3-4 times a year, compared to Y X which is used day to day.

SIkye

The Struggler
Greenie
Dec 17, 2015
Almost anytime I ever used a date it was for work or plans, and it is usually the day I need to know first. Imperial & Metric differences can be annoying, but they at least can stand on their own reasoning. But the fact we use months first I was never a fan of. And it would be easier for everyone if we just swapped to one universal way to write it imo.

Ondrashek

Peon
Whitey
Sep 17, 2020
I have *never* used MM/DD/YYYY, because why? Here it would just confuse people as the standard is DD/MM/YYYY, plus DD/MM/YYYY makes sense? With these 2 different date formats, I would honestly prefer if anything operating outside of the US would just say "DD May YYYY" instead of "5/DD/YYYY" because then it'll be less confusing for others.

Big

Bird Enthusiast
Greenie
Mar 2, 2019
I have *never* used MM/DD/YYYY, because why? Here it would just confuse people as the standard is DD/MM/YYYY, plus DD/MM/YYYY makes sense? With these 2 different date formats, I would honestly prefer if anything operating outside of the US would just say "DD May YYYY" instead of "5/DD/YYYY" because then it'll be less confusing for others.
The logical reason I have come up with for using MM/DD/YYYY is that it goes by lowest maximum value to highest maximum value (MM is from 1-12, DD is from 1-31, and YYYY is in the thousands)

Srentiln

minr op since Nov 2011
Op
Oct 28, 2013
Because I work in a GMP environment and I used to work for a Germany-based company, I use DDMMMYY. For example, today is 26FEB21. This format makes it very unlikely that there is any confusion on what date I am writing (date confusion can get you into a LOT of trouble in GMP industries)